Got a Computer Question
Post It Here
Someone May Be Able to Help
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Re:Desperate for help...

Post by wogga »

Thanks to all who are trying to help me but I've been to all the sites and downloaded
some files that are in a directory but none of the files are executable. How do I install the drivers and the actual program.
All I get are zip files ......non .exe files.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :?: :wink:
I'm getting mightily pissed off with this fucking machine.
Installing the scanner when I bought was easy with the cd.
The Canon home site is about as useless as a one man at an arse kicking contest.
"Sit on my face and tell me that you love me."
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

zip files are compression files, within them will be several more files that you have to extract. Download winzip from : http://www.download.com/3405-20-960683.html (evaluation version, but will suit your needs here) install it and then reboot your computer, you will then find that your zip file will have a winzip icon. now >>>>right<<<< click and hold on your zipfile, and drag it to some open space on your desktop. you should now see a menu, select extract to (folder name). once that completes you will be left with a folder on your desktop the same name as the original file. in this folder should be all your EXE's and stuff.

:)
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Thanks Inquisitor-uk......Of course...

Post by wogga »

you must think I have the intellect of a small white soap dish. However, I can't understand or follow your instructions.
Here is the story so for....... :cry:
I have downloaded Winzip and got it working.
I've dragged and dropped onto the desktop.
I also have a folder on the desktop named SG532, which is an unzipped file and it contains all the canoscan files ...in bleeding German. (The last time I used any German was when I was at school....40 years ago!)
Now what do I do please...?????

I reckon it would be easier to buy a new one just to get the intallation CD :wink:
The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the Devil's own satanic herd.
Nothing is ever or easy or simple for me...... :(
Thanks for helping.
Fatso
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fatso »

Hey man what if you download the one for Japan ?
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Post by wogga »

I tried it Fatso....just the same....I don't know how to load the drivers into the PC.... :cry:
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Taylor »

Chances are that you have an "inf" file i.e. a file with the "inf" extension. Installation from an inf file is slightly different. It involves going into the control panel, choosing to add new hardware, NOT using the autodetect but choosing manual installation, and then using the "browse" button to direct the installation routine to the directory where you have the "inf" file.

So look for something like SG532.inf or something similar. If you see a file with the .inf extension at the end, then this is what you need to do. The exe file you downloaded is only a compressed file and is not the file that runs to install the driver. Damn, even Im getting confused
Thank The Swedish Hammer RIP-TSP
x
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by x »

Unzip the files to a temporary directory (remember where you put them to)

right-click My Computer, click Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. This will open up a window with all the devices on your computer. Now, find your scanner in the list (it will probably show up as a ? ) and right-click it and choose Properties again. Click Re-Install Drivers and point it to the temp folder that you made. That should do the trick.
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Post by wogga »

Dear x
I can get as far as "Now, find your scanner in the list (it will probably show up as a ? ) and right-click it and choose Properties again." Then nothing..... the next page is all is Japanese with a choice of four options. I've tried 'em all....I can't even find the temp folder. I know that it's windows, Temp but I can't access it from "properties"
Very shortly this fucking scanner is going out of the window.
Thanks for trying for me.....
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Post by wogga »

Taylor,
I zipped the file and lo and behold....."Chances are that you have an "inf" file i.e. a file with the "inf" extension." There isn't one....... :cry: Shit, bugger, fuck, .... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Any other suggestions? and I've tried 'X' suggestion....no joy.
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

can you list all the 3 letter extentions that you got out of the zip file here for me (or in pm)

filename.??? << this bit
wogga
Special Member
Special Member

Post by wogga »

Inquisitor,
All the file names are all .dll apart one which is .ds.
There are some files without extensions e.g. Error report, twain, twunk etc.

regards,
Wogga