Got a Computer Question
Post It Here
Someone May Be Able to Help
mpp
Good Poster
Good Poster

Night spy photo

Post by mpp »

I guess this is the best place to write this question, but I would need your advices about night spy photo. Excluding my official daytime photo project, I might have an excellent photo opportunity coming soon. The issue is it requires a good night spy camera since the light would be bad and that opportunity would also extend during nighttime. Which camera should I look for? It need to be very discret, not the typical digital camera everybody owns and I am on budget (let's say: I expect it to be at a reasonnable priced.).
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

Rather then paying out for a new camera, if you have a decent camera already, then why not just buy an infra red light?
As you may / may not be aware, video / snapshot cameras can see infrered light as if daylight ( See here for example) so if you get yourself a good Infrared light or IR camera attachment, then the job may be done far cheaper then a new complete camera. Hope this helps with the money strings.

But if you do want a camera Check this link out all about cameras, film, conditions etc..
Schweindl6
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Schweindl6 »

:mrgreen: nice to see that you still here for the members, thanks Inqui uk :mrgreen:
To pee or not to pee, that`s the only question
mpp
Good Poster
Good Poster

Post by mpp »

inquisitor_uk wrote:Rather then paying out for a new camera, if you have a decent camera already, then why not just buy an infra red light?
As you may / may not be aware, video / snapshot cameras can see infrered light as if daylight ( See here for example) so if you get yourself a good Infrared light or IR camera attachment, then the job may be done far cheaper then a new complete camera. Hope this helps with the money strings.

But if you do want a camera Check this link out all about cameras, film, conditions etc..
It sounds very interesting since it keeps the exposure time to the minimum (vs regular long exposures). Thanks for the tip. Also, do you think that I can guess the X-Ray effect in bonus while using the Hoya filter? I remember a college friend that got that effect while using his Handycam, but I never tried this out before.

Edit: While searching deeper about the digital infrared technique, I found this: http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/4502 :)
mpp
Good Poster
Good Poster

Post by mpp »

I went deeper in the process and I made a few tests. The camera reacts well with IR source, such as pointing a remote control or a cathodic tube. While I wait for the new filters I ordered, I tested shooting with a homemade IR filter. The results are average. It is not really the filter quality, but the need of light that affected me the most. Even if human eye doesn't see infrared light, the camera needs a good source of light to get and use IR light. So, during daylight, it will works outside and you'll be able to take longer shots, but it is dark, you won't see much. In the current case, IR technology has lots of potential, but it lacks something. I guess that I would need to generate some kind of IR light (a discrete IR flash?)Also, I heard that the manufacturers makes IR photo harder since they try to prevent the so-called X-Ray effect, but I am not sure, if the chip behavior is affected when you use a regular mode with a outside filter rather than using the internal function.