Got a Computer Question
Post It Here
Someone May Be Able to Help
godspeed
Good Poster
Good Poster

no sound

Post by godspeed »

this is a general problem. i have no sound at all for songs, clips, youtube, even windows startup etc noises but my windows diagnostic device says all sound devices are working properly.
what would windows miss in this regard? everything else is working fine. is it a problem in my hard drive and what actions would you recommend? no mutes anywhere either. is there stuff windows cannot check?
i am really missing hissing and squatting piss splatter sounds!
thks in advance for any help
godspeed
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

In these cases it's best to start with the basics,

*Check that volume controls are up, and that no mute toggles are active (wav-master)
*Unplug your speakers and plug in either another set, or a set of head phones (to see if it's your speakers that have died)
* try to play an audio CD (to see if everything has failed on the card, or just some aspects)
* Check device manager to see if there are conflicts with your sound card with another device. (most devices must have their own IRQ's and memory addresses to operate, if they share with another device, they stop functioning)
*re-download the drivers for your sound card (your installed driver may have a curruption)
* Reboot (if you are like me, your computer stays on for months at a time, a simple reboot every now and then cures 99% of faults)

let me know how you get on.
godspeed
Good Poster
Good Poster

Post by godspeed »

many thanks, inquis.
about to try what you suggest
godspeed
Good Poster
Good Poster

Post by godspeed »

i tried everything but no joy, it must be a hardware problem so off to repair shop. moved pee stuff to drive f - let's hope they don't get curious and hide smirks when i pick it up!
thx anyway
godspeed
Good Poster
Good Poster

Post by godspeed »

inq, they replaced the soundcard after doing all the checks you suggested and that i'd tried already.
many thx for advice though. odd that windows can't detect dodgy hardware or am i expecting too much