Got a Computer Question
Post It Here
Someone May Be Able to Help
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How do you enter this site?

Post by Lucy »

I can't understand why, but whenever I type "www.fatsosplace.com" into Firefox I end up at a site called "bimbolinks". The only way I can get in here if I go to the original email confirming my membership and click the link in there. That link is identicle to what I type. I don't get it. Does anyone else have this problem?

I wouldn't want to be bustin to get in here. I'd end up with wet pants. Hmmm....

:wink:
Overture

Post by Overture »

Sounds like you might either have a browser-hijacker type spyware in your system, or your hosts lookup file has been taken over. Short answer is, download Ad-aware, and Spybot, and clean the computer out.

Also, are you using firefox 1.5 or 1.5.0.1 that just got released? Cause the later versions are less susceptable to this kind of crap.

www.lavasoftusa.com (Ad-aware)
http://www.safer-networking.org/ (Spybot)

Hope this helps.

Dave
I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it.
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lucy »

Thanks for the advise Overture, but I already have AdAware and Spybot and Tmas and Trojan Hunter and AVG and Zone Alarm and HiJackThis and etc. Where does it end. I am also running Firefox 1.0.7 so I'll look for an update. My hosts lookup file is locked and cant be modified without my approval.

This is the only site that is affected. I don't understan it. Everything checks out as clean. Even 'Shields Up' says I"m 100% protected.

Bloody computers. Even if I bookmark this board I end up in bimbolinks.
slugworth

Post by slugworth »

the same thing happens to me if I just type fatsosplace without the www first. are you only typing fatsosplace.com because that might be the problem. if not I dont know what to tell you.
clansman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by clansman »

Once u are in add it to ur bookmarks, or go in thro Google
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

It seems that there is a DNS (Dynamic Name Server) informing surfers that the fatsosplace.com domain is hosting the bimbolinks website.

I believe that fatso's is hosted at Flatbox (www.flatbox.nl), and both `fatsosplace.com` and `www.fatsosplace.com` are pointing at the same place to access the site. This problem should not effect everyone as not everyone uses the same DNS server to lookup sites.

think of a DNS server as a phone book, you open your phone book and want to know where something is, the phone book then points you to the right number. in this case, two phone books have conflicting information, and one of them is not uptodate. Usually DNS servers take about 24 hours to populate new domain names across the net and so why one in perticular has not done it, I cant answer.

if you would like to message the owner of the DNS server at flatbox to resolve the issue, their address is : postmaster@flatbox.nl and the contact name there is a Mr Kreeuwen.
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lucy »

Thanks for the advise.

Slugworth seems to have found the answer. It I use the 'www' I dont have a problem.

Perhaps one of the entries has been hijacked on the DNS, but that would give everyone the same problem.

Just one of the mysteries of cyberspace I guess.
Overture

Post by Overture »

Heh, or the dns is confused with all that protection software you're running :p

I love progress. All hail the mighty interweb.
I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it.
pist
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by pist »

i have opera, and the site opens without trouble