Someone May Be Able to Help
Mustang
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

How do i..........

Post by Mustang »

Do? :roll:

No thats not it. umm.............................oh yeah :P

How do i get 800mb to fit on a 700mb disc?

Is this even possible?

Thanx :)
Friendship is like Pissing your pants,
everyone can see it......

But only you can feel it’s true warmth.
©™ 2024
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

Look into these programs

WinZip = www.winzip.com
WinRAR =www.Winrar.com

Both of these programs Compress files.

you could also try Norton Ghost and back up selected files to a "Ghost Disc" (CD) BUT this is only for backup purposes, to access the data on a ghost disc, you would have to restore the data back to the harddrive.

if its pictures you are putting on the CD, then try to convert them to 256 colours, as this will reduce file size with little loss of quility. if it's movies, then try to convert them to WMA format, again, no loss of quality but smaller file size.

Hope this helps.
Pantymad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pantymad »

Hey M.

I think the term for cramming more data on a disc than it should in theory allow, is "overburn".
Ain't done it myself, because my cd-writer ain't up to the job. In fact I think the type of cd-writer and software you use, dictates how much, if any overburn you can get away with.
A mate of mine has burned over 850mb! But I ain't seen him for about 9 months.........think he's moved lol.

So my point is, take a look at what your hardware is and what burning software you use.......then do a search for "overburn CD's", or something like that, and see if your stuff will let ya do it. It's probably just a tick box in your burner software somewhere. ;)

@ Inquisitor. Ghost image files can be veiwed using "Ghost Explorer". (Probably depends what version of ghost ya got)
You can view, execute, extract individual files drag n drop into etc. Looks and feels much like windows explorer. :)

Pantymad.
Peemaxx

Re: How do i..........

Post by Peemaxx »

M wrote:
I don't mean to sound insulting or patronising here and this isn't an answer to the original question but....

Are you aware that you can buy 800Mb CD's

The only reason i say this is because only a few days ago i too needed to burn an ISO file to a CD and the file was something like 790Mb. I was thinking to myself this surely can't be right as all the disks i had were only 700Mb

This is why i don't mean to sound insulting because i've only just found out that 800Mb disks are available to buy. So if you dont want to go down the file compression route then this might help.
tracerfireuk

Post by tracerfireuk »

If its pics you're saving, then compression won't help if they're JPEGs - they're already compressed about as far as they will go without turning to a soupy mess. 800mb CDs were brought out as 'music' CDs that emulated the size of commercially produced ones (so we could pirate ALL the tracks without leaving one off....heh heh). The 800mb CDs are readily available in - as the saying goes - all good stores.
Mustang
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Mustang »

Thanx to every one for there time and effort in replying. I now have a few thing's to work on :wink:

P.S. " i didn't know you could get 800mb disc's! so thanx for that info also" M :)

©™ 2024
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Re: How do i..........

Post by Taylor »

Peemaxx wrote:
M wrote:
I don't mean to sound insulting or patronising here and this isn't an answer to the original question but....

Are you aware that you can buy 800Mb CD's .
LMFAO..what we are all trying to say is M...youre a bit dim :lol: Only joking mate
Thank The Swedish Hammer RIP-TSP
Mustang
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Mustang »

Hey Taylor.........................................

:lol: i might be a bit dim, but at least my bulb is working :lol:

P.S. Mail me already! :roll:

©™ 2024
Pantymad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pantymad »

Anyone seen inquisitor_uk? :P
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

ummm... yeah?

I was the first one to answer the post. whats up?
x
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by x »

Overburning has to do with the software you're using, the media you're burning to, and the optical drive you're using to do the burnage with. For best performance, I'd suggest using Maxell, Sony, or Memorex CDRWs and Nero (5 or later).

-X-
Pantymad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pantymad »

inquisitor_uk wrote:ummm... yeah?

I was the first one to answer the post. whats up?
Erm well I posted something in my first post FYI. Just wondered if you missed it since you didn't comment. Thats all np, nm ;)
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

the way you worded it (panty) did not look like you wanted a response, soz
Pantymad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Pantymad »

inquisitor_uk wrote:the way you worded it (panty) did not look like you wanted a response, soz
:? Did I? :? Didn't think I had. nm, np.

Well I had explained that you can use "Ghost Explorer" much like you use "Windows explorer", because I thought you would be interested. I think I made an assumption that, because you talked about Ghost, you probably use it. Therefore would benefit from the info I gave, because you seemed to think you had to restore a Ghost image b4 you could access it's data.
So it was just a heads up for ya bud.
inquisitor_uk
Special Member
Special Member

Post by inquisitor_uk »

to be honest, I was going from memory, (dont worry, I have fired the braincell that the information came from )