Not so Easy share

Got a Computer Question
Post It Here
Someone May Be Able to Help
Boo

Not so Easy share

Post by Boo »

Hi, Can anyone help with the problem I'm having accessing easy share files? (I can very occassionally access turbouploaded files)
When on the easy share page, I click on the link to access a posted file but all the page does is refresh itself coming back showing the same link.
I have stopped using IE and followed recommendations to use Firefox. This worked for about two downloads from easy share then it packed up as if recognizing me!
I also tried anonymouse without any success.
If I try accessing links through IE I receive messages ranging from Error 404, to forbidden access, to page unavailable.
Cookies are enabled, Java script is enabled (despite when using Firefox I'm told it isn't) Nothing seems to work.
OS is XP, server is ntlworld.
Access through the boards to other posted links work fine but I sure would like to access what you guys get to see and comment on.
Any feedbackwould be greatly appreciated :wink:
wetgirl_351

Post by wetgirl_351 »

in firefox extension (at the firefox addons site) look for the IE tab extension - works a treat opening thing that will normally only open with IE.
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lucy »

Easy Share requires that java is enabled. If Firefox is reporting that it isn't enabled when you know that it is, you may be the victim of a bug in Firefox.

If Firefox is installed from a .zip file, it often fails to enter a registry key. If this key is missing, Firefox will give the 'false' error message. It's false only in the fact that java is installed and activated but cant actually run without the key.

Using 'regedit' you should look for the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla] "CurrentVersion"="1.5"

If it's not there you should enter it.
I'd love an Australian kiss. It's just like a French kiss but delivered down under.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wetgirl I followed your recommendations and downloaded the IE tab. I'm currently downloading from Turboupload which occassionaly works but the proof of the pudding will be in it working with Easy Share. I'll let you know if it worked.

Lucy I followed your instructions and bought up the Mozilla folder. When you say if it's not there, 'enter it'
Enter what exactly? The folder shows two icons showing; Current version Reg SZ 1.8.0.1 Are you saying I should be adding something further?

Cheers for your advice so far :wink:
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lucy »

Boo

The information you posted shows that your Java is fine. You don't need to add anything.

You have 1.8.0.1 which is a US version.

1.5.0.1 is the UK version.
I'd love an Australian kiss. It's just like a French kiss but delivered down under.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Cheers for that Lucy. Seems I've done something right then :lol:
ron101

Post by ron101 »

now it tells me I havent got javascript installed but I have please please help. ive done the regedit thing.ive got firefox and the extension E11 still no joy
Boo

Post by Boo »

:cry: Buggered if I can get a handle on this! All I know is I'm either gonna use a No2 or a No3 hammer on the friggin' thing.
Surfing the net I get the impression defaulted IE security settings are behind this. It appears theres a shit load of people having exactly the same problems.

To Hell with it .... I'm off for a piss!!!!!!!!!!
Lucy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lucy »

Guy's

You may benifit from using a third party runtime environment.

I use Sun Microsystems Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for Windows.

You can get it here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Good luck. I'm going walkabout for the weekend. Catch you all next week.
Boo

Post by Boo »

CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java!
Okay, I downloaded that Lucy and got the above message ... still no luck! As explained previously, when I click on the link to access a vid it simply refreshes the page. (it does this if I run Firefox) if I'm running IE I get the 404 error or this page cannot be displayed etc.
I'm able to access turboupload and other url's you guys post, but easyshare forget it!

That's me outta here for a fortnight. (Pick up the baton Ron) hopefully when I return we can sort this out or perhaps try the Chinese Triginometry course!!!
Cheers for all help so far :)
sirgeepee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by sirgeepee »

I have just encountered the same problem. After weeks of perfectly straightforward easyshare downloads I suddenly got the news that javascript wasn't enabled - which it is!
tried all the suggestions above to no effect, and have just used control panel to remove mozilla firefox, then reinstalled - hey presto !
hopwe the same works for some others.

Many thanks to all the techie posters for their attention and help
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Taylor »

sirgeepee wrote:I have just encountered the same problem. After weeks of perfectly straightforward easyshare downloads I suddenly got the news that javascript wasn't enabled - which it is!
tried all the suggestions above to no effect, and have just used control panel to remove mozilla firefox, then reinstalled - hey presto !
hopwe the same works for some others.

Many thanks to all the techie posters for their attention and help
So you removed Firefox from control panel, reinstalled and now it works? Thats great Sirgeepee. I am reluctant to remove firefox only for the fact that I have so many bookmarks. Did your bookmarks remain after you reinstalled? I will look into a way of exporting them.

I must admit, since updating Firefox I have had several issues. Certain links not working, javascript apparently not enabled and also tons of others. I find a lot of problems occure with zip links although I have completed all the associations within firefox. :cry:

Thank to everyone who has helped in this discussion.
Last edited by Taylor on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank The Swedish Hammer RIP-TSP
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Taylor »

Oh, just realised you can export your bookmarks, so I guess I will follow Sirgeepee's suggestion. Thanks Sirgeepee. Ill try tonight and let you know how I get on.
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Taylor »

Ok, finally got round to uninstalling Firfox. For anyone who doesn't know how to do it here are the instructions this is how I did it!

Firstly, uninstal Mozilla Firefox from your system using the "Add/Remove software" in your control panel.
Check your Program Files folder. You will still have a folder in there called Mozilla or Firfox. Delete this.

Then we need to edit our registry. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!

Run regedit. Look for

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\firefox.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins]

Delete these entries.

Run Regcleaner and remove all firefox extentions or references.

Reinstall Firefox.

This works. Sirgeepee was the one who pointed us in the right direction so credit must to Sirgeepee. Thankyou

Now, I just tried Easyshare and I was able to download one of Kizzie's zips. 2 minutes later, I tried the same link and got a message "Java must be enabled"

I did not alter anything so my assumption is that if you get that message, it isnt your browser or your system playing up, but Easyshare. It was very slow loading and maybe a way of either controlling the number of downloads they release in a set time or something similar. These are assumptions and so not concrete.

I am going to try tomorrow and see what happenes. I let you know what I find!
Taylor
Fatso's Moderator
Fatso's Moderator

Post by Taylor »

Ok.. just tried and Easyshare works fine.. no java problems. Sirgeepee, I owe you big time mate.. thanks :)